Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Track Listings: 1/8/13

     So, this is an idea I've been kicking around for a while, so I figured why not finally try it out on the ol' blog. I'm basically going to list the songs that come on my iPod as I'm running and maybe say a little something about them; Were they motivational, good running songs, etc.? I generally just hit shuffle when I run, so some pretty random stuff comes on, and sometimes I'm surprised at what songs I find to be helpful when running and not. Get it, track listings, like on a CD, but also track, like running, sometimes I'm so clever I just want to punch myself in the face. Also, I'll throw some detail about my run up at the top, just as a way for me to keep track of these thing. Anyway, here goes...

Distance - 2.01 mi
Time - 17:34
Pace - 8:45
Location - The Neigborhood


1. Billy Joel - Tell Her About It
     I really only listened to half of this song, because I had finished my last run during it and haven't used my iPod since. Anyway, it wasn't a bad song running-wise. It's decently up-tempo compared to a lot of stuff I listen to, so that helps.



2. Queen/David Bowie - Under Pressure
     Yes! I felt like I hit the jackpot with this one. Plus, it came on pretty early in the run, so I wasn't really winded yet. I felt like I was rolling to this one, especially when it gets to Bowie's part of the chorus. "It's the terror of knowing what this world is about..." Also, the "give love one more chance" part at the end.



3.Nirvana - Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam
      Probably the slowest Nirvana song you could ask for. Also, maybe just a tad bit depressing, which, sometimes I can find depressing songs to be motivational in a way, wasn't really feeling this one today, though. Plus, since it's from the Unplugged album, there was at least 30 seconds to a minute at the end of just applause and talking, which can kinda throw me off my rhythm.



4. Wilco - How to Fight Loneliness
     Recently I tried to streamline my iPod so that I at the very least know all of the songs that are on it. Every once in a while a song that I'm completely unfamiliar with pops up, usually by Wilco or The Promise Ring. This was one of those instances. I find that knowing a song helps a lot with running to it, for me at least, especially a slow one like this. Plus I was kinda dragging a little bit when this came on, and it did not help at all. I don't think it's a bad song, I just listened to it again as I'm writing this and I was kinda digging it.



5. The Avett Brothers - Kick Drum Heart
     This was a nice little pick me up for the home stretch. I freaking love this song. It's kind of a feel good song for me, and has a nice persistent, if not all that fast, beat which makes it good for running to me. Although, it did make me feel sort of ultra-aware of my heartbeat for a minute, which made me feel kind of weird.



6. Death Cab for Cutie - Summer Skin
     This song started right before I got to where I was cooling down, but I was really feeling the drum beat and bass line for the little bit that I was running to it.



     So, there it is, the inaugural edition of this thing. So, what did you think? Comments and suggestions welcome. If this becomes a regular thing, maybe it can help keep me from missing runs. I try to run Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, so if I don't post something get on my ass.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. Also, certain songs can definitely help or hurt motivation(especially for me) so this is a cool way to jot down what it felt like, great idea! Hey, whatver keeps you motivated to run...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm all about music and love hearing your opinion on it. So I'm loving this idea. I also love that you're going to remind me how often you're out there exercising and hopefully it will inspire me to get my ass out there and do the same thing. It's a win-win for me!

    ReplyDelete